Chapter 1 – An Interesting Beginning

The first thing I notice is that it is dark, very dark. The next thing I notice is a beeping in the dark. It is incessant, not loud, just constantly sounding again and again. There may be four or five different sounds.

I try to stir, but I am restrained across my chest. I feel like I am sitting. My knees and hips are bent like I am in a chair, but it does not feel quite right. Then it hits me, I am weightless. That can't be good.

It is still dark, even after I open my eyes. My arms seem to be free so I swing my left arm up to my face, but it hits something hard, a helmet; and the visor is turned up to block all light. The control should be right here by the seam. How does that mnemonic go? “LUDD - Light Up, Dark Down” My fingers seem to know this instinctively as I dial the visor down a click or two.

Still nothing. Another click down and the room starts to show. It looks like a single ship cockpit. That would fit with the weightlessness and the restraints.

I turn the visor down all the way and look around. Too many red lights illuminated for my liking. Power, Propulsion, Navigation, Life Support, Communication, RCS, Defense all with alerts. Backup power shows amber and the status says 4 hours of power remaining at current consumption rates. Command and Control systems seem to be the only thing on the backup power bus right now. Life support isn't though and that's strange.

“Speaking of Life Support, how am I doing?” Glancing at the Heads Up Display (HUD) in the helmet I see that I am on internal support with 2 hours left in my pack. “Why am I off the ships systems?” I wonder. “For that matter where am I and why am I here?”

I reach over and hit the Master Alarm button to silence the current alarms. Nothing else trips and the cockpit grows silent. All I hear is the soft whirring of the air processor in my suit.

It is time to take a closer look at the ship's status. The master alarm panel still shows all the ships systems just about dead. The power mains are dead and all the breakers have tripped open. That means the Power Cells are flat, not good.

That is odd, there are four times as many Power Cells than I thought were on a ship this size. The backup power battery also has an increased capacity. I wonder why all the power reserves. Still the fusion reactor that is the main power source is not supposed to go out. “No user serviceable parts inside,” Never shuts down, no restart required... or possible, if I remember correctly.

The main reactor is off-line and is not generating any juice to recharge the cells or run propulsion, not good. RCS or maneuvering thrusters just shows no reaction mass, a result of no propulsion, but there seems to be a backup chemical thruster system running parallel to the main RCS that is operational. I can turn the ship, but not make it go much of anywhere.

No power means no communication, or life support, not good. Looking over to my right I see my support pack, and a fully charged spare. That's at least another 8 hours of heat and air. One less thing to think about right now.

The main displays panels are dark, not even the HUD overlays are showing. The main computer is down and not talking to me. That means all of the higher control functions are disabled. Just independent monitoring systems and manual overrides are up.

Next to the displays is a system panel labeled HSC/ERS. I don't immediately recognize the name or layout. The panel has a hexadecimal keypad, a small display and two large physical buttons, one green the other red. There is a handwritten note next to the red button. “Press This Button, If you want to live!” It looks like my handwriting, but I don't remember writing it. The message is clear. I must have known I would wind up in this situation.

I reach out my gloved hand and push down on the button until it clicks. I feel a faint vibration in the chair, like a motor just started somewhere in the ship. It quickly stops though.

The main status board now shows the first Power Cell with a 2% charge and climbing. The display on the HSC/ERS panel shows 'CC01 – 0004'. Everything else is still quiescent.

Next to the ERS panel is a storage slot that has a binder in it. The spine is labeled “Don't Panic: H2IK Sequence Enclosed” Don't Panic? Why should I panic? I'm in a ship, who knows where, all the main systems are down with no way to restart the main reactor and I don't remember even getting into this ship, much less traveling anywhere. Of course I should panic.

I pull the binder out and open it up to the front page. It reads: “If you are reading this, then the test was successful. Now you must go through the H2IK sequence.” What is the H2IK sequence?

First, have you pressed the red button on the ERS panel? If not then do so now!” Done that. What's next?

Next, has the display on the HSC panel started reading 'CC01 – XXXX', counting up from zero? If not then recycle the recharge control system on the Power Cell Control panel and then enter the following on the HSC panel keypad: 'Load', C100 0000, 'Execute'

Well, the display is behaving correctly so I don't have to do that step. Looks like some type of restart though.

Once the first power cell has reached at least 50% charged, you will need to restart the main computer from the primary power bus. Use the memory pack located in the back of this manual to perform an IPL of the system. It has probably been completely wiped clean.

“Great! That's why the displays our down and only the alarm panel is working.”

I flip to the back of the book and find a metallic padded envelop with a security seal stamped 'GSA' The Global Space Agency? I work for them, don't I? Ok, this is work related. I must be testing something, but what? I open the envelope and pull out a high density memory stick labeled 'HS Test IPL' That's what I need. Now to reload the main computer.

Glancing up at the Power Cell status, I see that the first cell is 100% and the second is already at 25%. A check of the ERS panel shows 'CC02 – 0026' So, it is showing the steps it takes to recharge the power cells. Not that it will do any good. No reactor to power the propulsion system. Reaching up to the breaker panel I reset the main computer breaker to the main bus. Nothing happens.

Right, I need to do an IPL with the memory pack. That means going to the back of the cockpit to the computer access panel and getting physical with it. I release the five point harness holding me into my seat and start to drift up and away, pushed out by the cushions. Grabbing the arm of the seat, I pull myself around and push off to the rear of the cabin. I drift back to the access panel. When I place my feet on the floor, they snap down and lock. “Yeah, magnetic soles, at least I will be able to turn the twist lock latches.”

The top two latches twist easily enough. The first one on the bottom is a bit stiff and the final latch almost lifts me from the floor before it breaks loose. The panel swings open from the center and locks in place.

With the panel open, I look at the layout. Along the top of the access panel are the status lights: Power, Ready, Running, AI1, AI2, AI3, Overload, and Failure. Only the Power and Failure lights are lit. It looks like they are also switches. I push the failure light and it goes out. Underneath that is a display panel which is dark. Below that, I see the slot for the memory stick. It is covered with a strip of security tape that says “System Load Only.” I pull the tape off and slide the stick into the slot until is clicks into place. Next to the slot are two buttons, one labeled 'IPL' the other 'HALT'. Both of the buttons are underneath covers to prevent accidental activation.

The ready light comes on and I flip open the cover over the IPL switch and press the button. The display comes to life. Status messages scroll up faster than I can read them, but they are all green so I figure they are good. The Running status light is now lit and the display shows the message 'System check: Good. Initial AI load completed... Please remove IPL memory and replace access cover.' So I do both and return to my seat as the main displays start activating.

I replace the IPL memory pack into its envelope and flip back to the front of the procedure list. The next step in the manual says wait for power cells and batteries to fully charge. Interrogate the computer for status update when it is functioning again.

The status board shows that it is already on the fourth power cell. Something is putting out the juice in a hurry. The manual says if the batteries do not start charging after the power cells are completed that I should recycle the recharge control system on the Backup Battery Control panel and then enter the following on the HSC panel keypad: 'Load', C100 1000, 'Execute' I will keep that in mind.

Looking at main displays I see the ship's status diagrams. The outlines do not look like any single ship I have ever seen. The fusion reactor is larger than normal; the propulsion section is overly long with a section dedicated to the HSDU, whatever that is. There is a fission reactor running in the rear most section. That must be what is charging the power cells and hopefully soon the batteries. Most everything is highlighted in red as non-operational; big surprise there.

The computer announces that it is fully operational and that I should identify myself at this time. The sound of its voice is strange after all the silence. I state my name “James Davis” and my GSA ID number and wait for validation. Boy do I get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Working on the New Home Page

Old Quizzes that have been taken down

Clean up the blog